My Blog List

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Phelps Lake to Death Canyon

Today I went for a hike around Phelps Lake and into the bottom of Death Canyon.

Not far from the car, the dirt ended, and it was mostly slushy snow for the rest of the hike. Last June, we detoured off the Great Divide MTB route and into Jackson for a day. We met a cool group of med school students on vacation, who brought us hiking up to Phelps Lake.
Phelps Lake
The Lake was pretty cold in June, but it wasn't covered in ice.
Death Canyon
 Death Canyon is fascinatingly steep. I hiked up it for a little while, but the weather looked like it was changing, the wind was picking up, the snow was getting deeper, so I turned around.


Not gonna jump off the rock today!
Neat to see this place in a different season. And I am looking forward to getting back out here and further up Death Canyon once the snow melts and it dries out a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment